The KDE-4.0.84 Treat for Canada Day Weekend!
kwhiskerz
2008-06-29 00:14:48 UTC
I had no idea this would be coming out so soon, and here it is...

Already, some nuisance bugs are resolved:

- when kontakt/korganizer flags a list of reminders, it is now possible to
dismiss one without automatically dismissing the whole list

- the korganizer icon appears in the system tray (I hope it will remain after
a reboot - I will know later this evening)

- when a folder is opened in the dolphin main pane, the folder view also
expands the corresponding directory, like konqueror used to do (definitely an
awaited fix)

- editing in kmail appears, so far, to work properly

A small problem: when I started kontakt, kwallet was not opened before kontakt
tried to access all of the mailservers I use, so I had to manually enter all
of the passwords (even though they are in kwallet, but I couldn't get to it,
as it was behind the mail server password requests, so I was unable to enter
the kwallet password until all of the mailservers had their passwords). After
the mail was gotten, I was able to access the up until then hidden and
darkened kwallet password request and all was well.

Also, I hadn't noticed that kipi-plugins, libkipi and libkdcraw are available,
so I was able to get digikam back. It seems to work like before.

As for numlock on the keypad, I will know if it works after a reboot.
kwhiskerz
2008-06-29 01:17:24 UTC
I wrote too soon about the opening of the directory in dolphin's folder panel:
when one opens a directory in the main window, the folder view does not
correspondingly open like konqueror in kde3 used to do.

Also, the numlock still does not work upon boot.

The window frame tool tips still appear, even though they are disabled.

Phonon still crashes all the time and drops to pulseaudio (I don't understand
this confusing maze of phonon, alsa, pulse, etc), but sound does work
reliably, regardless of the output method.

The side panel (with the calendar browser, todo list, etc) in korganizer still
doesn't work.

GTK Styles still appears twice in the system settings.

Kmix still appears in the systray upon boot, although I had closed it down.

Editing text in kmail is still not working completely correctly: I just tried
selecting some text and dragging it to another position, but nothing happened;
the editing arrows, however, do appear to work).

Yes, the korganizer icon does reappear in the systray after a reboot. I don't
know if the deferred reminders have survived the reboot, but will know soon.

I still cannot use the 3D Earth Model plasmoid (says desktop doesn't support
openGL, even though I have openGL installed and enabled and working just fine
with the glorious desktop effects).

Bit by slow, this is getting better and better!
Allen Winter
2008-07-01 00:17:57 UTC
Post by kwhiskerz
when one opens a directory in the main window, the folder view does not
correspondingly open like konqueror in kde3 used to do.
The side panel (with the calendar browser, todo list, etc) in korganizer still
doesn't work.
Really? Strange.
You are running KOrganizer stand-alone or inside Kontact?

BTW: The to-do list in the side panel is gone.
But you should still see the calendar navigator and the event viewer
and the calendar resources list.

Oh, maybe you have the splitter hiding the side panel?

just about anything Open Source.
kwhiskerz
2008-07-01 05:33:51 UTC
Post by Allen Winter
Post by kwhiskerz
The side panel (with the calendar browser, todo list, etc) in korganizer
still doesn't work.
Really? Strange.
You are running KOrganizer stand-alone or inside Kontact?
BTW: The to-do list in the side panel is gone.
But you should still see the calendar navigator and the event viewer
and the calendar resources list.
Oh, maybe you have the splitter hiding the side panel?
Guess what!? I had no idea whatever what a splitter could be, when I noticed
that there was a little thing with 3 dots at the bottom of the side panel. I
clicked on it and suddenly the side panel in all of it's glory appeared,
Calendar, Resources, and all!

No more To Do view, but there is a button to view them on a fresh page.
Changes make one work differently. I often grow to prefer the new way.

I once thought I couldn't live without Konqueror, and now I like the Dolphin
and Firefox tandem (yes, I actually did use Konqueror as a browser about 20%
of the time, but now I no longer use it at all). However, I miss Konqueror's
ability to deal with man and those horrible info pages, which Dolphin still
hasn't learned. Yes, I realize that Konqueror still exists, but having one
program that did it all was just sooooo handy (saved constantly switching
windows, copying and pasting, etc).

The concept of using one program to view files/pages on the web and on one's
computer was a good one, as it is realistic, since we rarely have a computer
without an internet connection and are constantly moving files from the web to
our computers and sometimes vice-versa. In my opinion, this is a regression,
as current thinking seems to be heading toward the 'cloud' paradigm, which
appears to entail eventually having one's files on the web and accessible from
any computer anywhere (once there is free and encrypted storage available -
this really should be the ISPs responsibility, since they charge huge monthly
rates for doing little more than giving us a connection to the internet),
hence Konqueror's apparently passé way was actually avant garde. And Gnome is
working on the online desktop, etc, so this seems to be evermore current a
concept.

I don't really understand how Konqueror fits into the KDE program palette now,
as it appears to have been superseded by Dolphin in a major part of its
function (it never could compete to the splendour of Firefox as a primary
browser). Will there eventually be a new program to deal with KIO Slaves, like
Konqueror did? Perhaps a stand-alone man:/ and info:/ viewer? Or will Dolphin
learn these tricks?