Nepomuk using 90%+ CPU
Manoel Couder
2008-09-27 21:40:38 UTC

I am using Fedora 9 and kde since 3 weeks. I want to learn the new
functionality of kde4 including strigi/nepomuk.

I use the system settings-> Advanced -> Nepomuk to enable Nepomuk semantic
desktop and strigi desktop search.

The next time I logged in the process "/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub
nepomukstorage" was taking 90%+ of my cpu for more than 6 days.

According to the message on http://lists.kde.org/?t=122206752300001&r=1&w=2
from the [kde] mailing of kde.org strigi is supposed to be build with
decencies to gamin and it is advised on that thread to use Sesame2 as backend
of nepomuk if one want to use strigi and nepomuk.

"yum deplist strigi-libs-0.5.11-1.fc9.i386" and "yum deplist
strigi-0.5.11-1.fc9.i386" does not show dependency on gamin
while "sopranocmd" only shows redland.

Is it a kde-redhat choice ? Is it a bad idea to use nepomuk and strigi with
fedora 9?

Manoel

Anne Wilson
2008-09-28 07:30:30 UTC
Post by Manoel Couder
Hi,
[...]
I asked the same question on a kde list and got two answers that might be
helpful.
Post by Manoel Couder
Do you have FAM and/or INOTIFY enabled in your system AND strigi compiled
to use one of them?
I've tried strigi without them and its behavior was like you said, I
enabled fam, and it behaves well since then..
and
Post by Manoel Couder
I would hope that the binary was built with this support. But, it is
possible that they didn't follow my directions :-) it is not easy to get
Strigi built correctly since the Cmake modules are somewhat broken.
IAC, first check if you have Gamin installed.
If you open the Strigi RPM in KPackage, it will list what it depends on.
On this (opensuse) installation gamin wasn't installed. I installed it and
saw some improvement, but I wouldn't say it cured it. I disabled strigi for
the time being.

Anne