Is there hope to have KDE 4.x lighten up?
Arthur Pemberton
2008-10-03 21:18:38 UTC
Aside from the expected bugs/instabilities, I have found KDE 4 to be
quite "heavy".

I had to go from a Celeron 2.4GHz + 1GB of DDR333 to a P4 3.0GHz +
3.5GB of DDR400 to get to a comfortable KDE 4 performance. I'm seeing
a lot of machines coming out with Atom processors, and I'm wondering
how well is KDE 4 going to feel on those. I had read that Qt4 was
supposed to make KDE4 quicker than KDE3, so I'm wondering if the
current lack of speed are just due to left over stuff from KDE3 or
otherwise.
--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )

John5342
2008-10-03 21:26:06 UTC
KDE4 may or may not be lighter on resources but there are also a lot of new
things such as for example desktop effects and if you have them enabled then
KDE4 will feel much more heavy (especially with nvidia proprietry drivers in
the case of desktop effects). From experience i can say that no software
really becomes lighter on resources. they just improve resource usage and
then add new things to use those resources up again. I am not complaining
but is a general observation that seems to ring true all over the place.

John
Arthur Pemberton
2008-10-03 21:33:15 UTC
Post by John5342
KDE4 may or may not be lighter on resources but there are also a lot of new
things such as for example desktop effects and if you have them enabled then
KDE4 will feel much more heavy (especially with nvidia proprietry drivers in
the case of desktop effects). From experience i can say that no software
really becomes lighter on resources. they just improve resource usage and
then add new things to use those resources up again. I am not complaining
but is a general observation that seems to ring true all over the place.
Some annecdotal evidence to be taken with lots of salt:

I had a PIII with 256MB of RAM, and about FC7 time, I installed FC7 on
it without any problems, along with KDE. Recently I popped an F9 KDE
LiveCD into it and it took roughly 30 mins before I could move the
cursor. And I couldn't succesfully activate anything with the mouse
due to large delays.

Of course, there are several factors involved, including the fact that
it was a LiveCD on an old machine with an old CD rom, but the fact
that after 30 I couldn't move to click install to hard drive says
something I believe.

Either way, does anyone have KDE 4.x running smoothly on a recent Itel
Atom type machine?