KDE 4.1.1 Misc concerns
Arthur Pemberton
2008-09-10 03:43:02 UTC
1. I dislike Dolphin, irrelevant, but just wanted to say that
2. I used to like single click in Windows, but I'd like to turn it off
in KDE, I haven't found out how... instructions would be appreciated
3. I really loved inline filename changing in Konqueror... is there a
way to get that back? F2 brings up a dialog now
4. Might it be appropriate to temporarily require 'gdb' till things
get more stable? Just had a kopete crash, had to install gdb to catch
the next one.

On a side note, what packages should I install for the debugging
symbols? or is that not possible?
--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )

John5342
2008-09-10 11:44:03 UTC
Post by Arthur Pemberton
1. I dislike Dolphin, irrelevant, but just wanted to say that
Try konqueror instead which was the default in kde 3.5 and is still there.
Post by Arthur Pemberton
2. I used to like single click in Windows, but I'd like to turn it off
in KDE, I haven't found out how... instructions would be appreciated
I think what your talking about is in System Settings -> Keyboard & Mouse ->
Mouse -> Icons
Post by Arthur Pemberton
3. I really loved inline filename changing in Konqueror... is there a
way to get that back? F2 brings up a dialog now
No idea but i prefer the new way anyway :)
Post by Arthur Pemberton
4. Might it be appropriate to temporarily require 'gdb' till things
get more stable? Just had a kopete crash, had to install gdb to catch
the next one.
I have found things pretty stable anyway but thats a question for
maintainers.
Post by Arthur Pemberton
On a side note, what packages should I install for the debugging
symbols? or is that not possible?
debuginfo-install <name-of-package-to-debug>

Marcelo Magno T. Sales
2008-09-10 17:06:06 UTC
Post by Arthur Pemberton
3. I really loved inline filename changing in Konqueror... is there
a way to get that back? F2 brings up a dialog now
In Dolphin, go to Configurations -> Configure Dolphin -> General
There's an option in this tab to activate inline renaming. I like it
much more than the current default too.

[]'s
Marcelo

Rex Dieter
2008-09-10 17:35:12 UTC
Post by Marcelo Magno T. Sales
Post by Arthur Pemberton
3. I really loved inline filename changing in Konqueror... is there
a way to get that back? F2 brings up a dialog now
In Dolphin, go to Configurations -> Configure Dolphin -> General
There's an option in this tab to activate inline renaming. I like it
much more than the current default too.
Can those interested in this make the case for making this change the
default? Be as verbose as possible. :) So...
1. we could consider changing the default in fedora
and
2. work to push this upstream too

-- Rex

Arthur Pemberton
2008-09-10 18:19:50 UTC
Post by Arthur Pemberton
3. I really loved inline filename changing in Konqueror... is there
a way to get that back? F2 brings up a dialog now
In Dolphin, go to Configurations -> Configure Dolphin -> General
There's an option in this tab to activate inline renaming. I like it
much more than the current default too.
Can those interested in this make the case for making this change the
default? Be as verbose as possible. :) So...
1. we could consider changing the default in fedora
and
2. work to push this upstream too
Well I can try to think something up, but specifically in Konqueror,
which is what I use, was there a case to change?

kwhiskerz
2008-09-10 21:03:02 UTC
Post by Arthur Pemberton
3. I really loved inline filename changing in Konqueror... is there
a way to get that back? F2 brings up a dialog now
In Dolphin, go to Configurations -> Configure Dolphin -> General
There's an option in this tab to activate inline renaming. I like it
much more than the current default too.
Can those interested in this make the case for making this change the
default? Be as verbose as possible. :) So...
Inline renaming is my preference. In 4.0, it didn't work properly, so I turned
it off. Just tested in 4.1.1 and it appears to permit cutting and pasting
inline to correct typos, so I would prefer it turned back on by default.
Arthur Pemberton
2008-09-14 16:28:53 UTC
On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Marcelo Magno T. Sales
Post by Arthur Pemberton
3. I really loved inline filename changing in Konqueror... is there
a way to get that back? F2 brings up a dialog now
In Dolphin, go to Configurations -> Configure Dolphin -> General
There's an option in this tab to activate inline renaming. I like it
much more than the current default too.
I don't use Dolphin. I looked through Konquror, didn't find a similar
option. Any idea if it is there for sure and that I just missed it?

John5342
2008-09-14 16:37:19 UTC
Post by Arthur Pemberton
I don't use Dolphin. I looked through Konquror, didn't find a similar
option. Any idea if it is there for sure and that I just missed it?
Don't know if its true in this case but a lot of settings in dolphin also
effect konqueror. Have already found at least one other setting (the right
click "copy to" and "move to" menus) that dont appear to have an option in
konqueror but setting them in dolphin also affects konqueror (they probably
share most settings).
Arthur Pemberton
2008-09-14 16:49:54 UTC
Post by John5342
Post by Arthur Pemberton
I don't use Dolphin. I looked through Konquror, didn't find a similar
option. Any idea if it is there for sure and that I just missed it?
Don't know if its true in this case but a lot of settings in dolphin also
effect konqueror. Have already found at least one other setting (the right
click "copy to" and "move to" menus) that dont appear to have an option in
konqueror but setting them in dolphin also affects konqueror (they probably
share most settings).
Quite true. After closing and reopening Konqueror, the change had
taken effect in it as well.

I think I'll give Dolphin a fair chance. I enabled the location bar,
and switch to detail mode away from column mode.

Anne Wilson
2008-09-14 18:02:42 UTC
Post by Arthur Pemberton
Post by John5342
Post by Arthur Pemberton
I don't use Dolphin. I looked through Konquror, didn't find a similar
option. Any idea if it is there for sure and that I just missed it?
Don't know if its true in this case but a lot of settings in dolphin also
effect konqueror. Have already found at least one other setting (the
right click "copy to" and "move to" menus) that dont appear to have an
option in konqueror but setting them in dolphin also affects konqueror
(they probably share most settings).
Quite true. After closing and reopening Konqueror, the change had
taken effect in it as well.
On my Mandriva laptop the first, Behavior page of Konq's settings, there's an
option to rename in-line.
Post by Arthur Pemberton
I think I'll give Dolphin a fair chance. I enabled the location bar,
and switch to detail mode away from column mode.
I enabled the location bar at first. Then I discovered that I could move
around more quickly by using the 'breadcrumbs'. You can click on any part of
the directory tree and jump to it immediately - as good as having a
side-panel open and less real estate :-)

Anne
Arthur Pemberton
2008-09-14 22:40:51 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Arthur Pemberton
Post by John5342
Post by Arthur Pemberton
I don't use Dolphin. I looked through Konquror, didn't find a similar
option. Any idea if it is there for sure and that I just missed it?
Don't know if its true in this case but a lot of settings in dolphin also
effect konqueror. Have already found at least one other setting (the
right click "copy to" and "move to" menus) that dont appear to have an
option in konqueror but setting them in dolphin also affects konqueror
(they probably share most settings).
Quite true. After closing and reopening Konqueror, the change had
taken effect in it as well.
On my Mandriva laptop the first, Behavior page of Konq's settings, there's an
option to rename in-line.
Just double checked, the only behaviour page I have is under 'Web
Browser' in the settings tree

Anne Wilson
2008-09-15 07:23:25 UTC
Post by Arthur Pemberton
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Arthur Pemberton
Post by John5342
Post by Arthur Pemberton
I don't use Dolphin. I looked through Konquror, didn't find a similar
option. Any idea if it is there for sure and that I just missed it?
Don't know if its true in this case but a lot of settings in dolphin
also effect konqueror. Have already found at least one other setting
(the right click "copy to" and "move to" menus) that dont appear to
have an option in konqueror but setting them in dolphin also affects
konqueror (they probably share most settings).
Quite true. After closing and reopening Konqueror, the change had
taken effect in it as well.
On my Mandriva laptop the first, Behavior page of Konq's settings,
there's an option to rename in-line.
Just double checked, the only behaviour page I have is under 'Web
Browser' in the settings tree
It might be a version difference. I've still not found any way to get a true
4.1.1 on the Fedora box, and the Mandriva laptop is such a long way behind.

Anne