kde-3.5.10 for el4/el5
Rex Dieter
2008-09-26 13:07:39 UTC
Coming soon to a friendly kde-redhat repo near you... kde-3.5.10 for
EL-4, EL-5. Will be landing in testing to simmer for a bit first. Enjoy.

-- Rex

Gilboa Davara
2008-10-05 09:33:18 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Coming soon to a friendly kde-redhat repo near you... kde-3.5.10 for
EL-4, EL-5. Will be landing in testing to simmer for a bit first. Enjoy.
-- Rex
Thanks!

- Gilboa

Gilboa Davara
2008-10-07 05:49:30 UTC
Post by Gilboa Davara
Post by Rex Dieter
Coming soon to a friendly kde-redhat repo near you... kde-3.5.10 for
EL-4, EL-5. Will be landing in testing to simmer for a bit first. Enjoy.
-- Rex
Thanks!
- Gilboa
Hello Rex,

I'm getting some breakage on CentOS 5.2/x86_64:

Missing Dependency: kdenetwork-libs = 7:3.5.10-1.el5 is needed by
package kdenetwork-extras
Missing Dependency: libexiv2.so.0()(64bit) is needed by package gwenview
Missing Dependency: kdebase = 6:3.5.10-2.el5 is needed by package kdebase-extras
Missing Dependency: kdeutils = 6:3.5.10-1.el5 is needed by package
kdeutils-extras
Missing Dependency: kdeutils-extras = 6:3.5.9-1.el5 is needed by
package kdeutils-devel

- Gilboa

Rex Dieter
2008-10-07 13:53:23 UTC
Post by Gilboa Davara
Post by Gilboa Davara
Post by Rex Dieter
Coming soon to a friendly kde-redhat repo near you... kde-3.5.10 for
EL-4, EL-5. Will be landing in testing to simmer for a bit first. Enjoy.
-- Rex
Thanks!
- Gilboa
Hello Rex,
Missing Dependency: kdenetwork-libs = 7:3.5.10-1.el5 is needed by
package kdenetwork-extras
Missing Dependency: libexiv2.so.0()(64bit) is needed by package gwenview
Missing Dependency: kdebase = 6:3.5.10-2.el5 is needed by package kdebase-extras
Missing Dependency: kdeutils = 6:3.5.10-1.el5 is needed by package
kdeutils-extras
Missing Dependency: kdeutils-extras = 6:3.5.9-1.el5 is needed by
package kdeutils-devel
Do you have EPEL and/or any other 3rd-party repos enabled?

rpm -q gwenview exiv2 exiv2-libs
please

-- Rex

Rex Dieter
2008-10-07 14:19:30 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Gilboa Davara
Post by Gilboa Davara
Post by Rex Dieter
Coming soon to a friendly kde-redhat repo near you... kde-3.5.10 for
EL-4, EL-5. Will be landing in testing to simmer for a bit first. Enjoy.
-- Rex
Thanks!
- Gilboa
Hello Rex,
Missing Dependency: kdenetwork-libs = 7:3.5.10-1.el5 is needed by
package kdenetwork-extras
Missing Dependency: libexiv2.so.0()(64bit) is needed by package gwenview
Missing Dependency: kdebase = 6:3.5.10-2.el5 is needed by package kdebase-extras
Missing Dependency: kdeutils = 6:3.5.10-1.el5 is needed by package
kdeutils-extras
Missing Dependency: kdeutils-extras = 6:3.5.9-1.el5 is needed by
package kdeutils-devel
Do you have EPEL and/or any other 3rd-party repos enabled?
looks like rpmforge has a different/incompatible exiv2 pkg. yay. I'll
try contacting them to see if we can work out the incompatibilities.

-- Rex

Rex Dieter
2008-10-07 14:21:47 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Rex Dieter
Do you have EPEL and/or any other 3rd-party repos enabled?
looks like rpmforge has a different/incompatible exiv2 pkg. yay. I'll
try contacting them to see if we can work out the incompatibilities.
Naw, double-checked, rpmforge's exiv2 is the same, just that they need
to respin it against the newer exiv2.

In short, it's a dep problem specific to rpmforge, no related to us here.

-- Rex

Gilboa Davara
2008-10-07 14:27:45 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Rex Dieter
Do you have EPEL and/or any other 3rd-party repos enabled?
looks like rpmforge has a different/incompatible exiv2 pkg. yay. I'll
try contacting them to see if we can work out the incompatibilities.
Naw, double-checked, rpmforge's exiv2 is the same, just that they need
to respin it against the newer exiv2.
In short, it's a dep problem specific to rpmforge, no related to us here.
-- Rex
Figured as much.
Any idea why the rpmforge group doesn't support EPEL?

- Gilboa

Rex Dieter
2008-10-07 14:41:06 UTC
Post by Gilboa Davara
Any idea why the rpmforge group doesn't support EPEL?
Imo, it's all egos.

There were some personality and policy conflicts early on when epel
tried to reach out to rpmforge devs, and since then, rpmforge (dag
mostly) has the perception (valid or not, I won't argue that here) that
epel isn't interested in working together.

So, here we are, 2 largely overlapping repos with hardly any
collaboration or cooperation. Disappointing really.

I try to help when/where I can, slowly but surely.

-- Rex

Rex Dieter
2008-10-07 15:35:27 UTC
Either way, any chance that rpmforge will fix/remove the offending exiv
package?
Sure, but you're asking the wrong people. :)
(... And if they don't - can I somehow block this package, only
when it comes from rpmforge?)
Add to rpmforge.repo:
exclude=gwenview

-- Rex

Gilboa Davara
2008-10-07 15:57:11 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Either way, any chance that rpmforge will fix/remove the offending exiv
package?
Sure, but you're asking the wrong people. :)
(... And if they don't - can I somehow block this package, only
when it comes from rpmforge?)
exclude=gwenview
-- Rex
That worked.

Thanks,
Gilboa

Gilboa Davara
2008-10-07 15:23:17 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Gilboa Davara
Any idea why the rpmforge group doesn't support EPEL?
Imo, it's all egos.
There were some personality and policy conflicts early on when epel
tried to reach out to rpmforge devs, and since then, rpmforge (dag
mostly) has the perception (valid or not, I won't argue that here) that
epel isn't interested in working together.
So, here we are, 2 largely overlapping repos with hardly any
collaboration or cooperation. Disappointing really.
I try to help when/where I can, slowly but surely.
-- Rex
It's a shame, really - Dag used to be my favorite repo. (Long before
Fedora-extras came to life...)

Either way, any chance that rpmforge will fix/remove the offending exiv
package? (... And if they don't - can I somehow block this package, only
when it comes from rpmforge?)

- Gilboa

Gilboa Davara
2008-10-07 14:24:41 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Gilboa Davara
Post by Gilboa Davara
Post by Rex Dieter
[...]
EPEL enabled. (funny that you mention gwenview and exiv2... both
generate additional breakage - but I assume that it's rpmforge vs. EPEL
problem)

$ rpm -q gwenview exiv2 exiv2-libs
gwenview-1.4.2-2.el5.rf.x86_64
exiv2-0.15-5.el5.x86_64
exiv2-0.15-5.el5.i386
package exiv2-libs is not installed

- Gilboa

Rex Dieter
2008-10-07 14:48:34 UTC
Post by Gilboa Davara
EPEL enabled. (funny that you mention gwenview and exiv2... both
generate additional breakage - but I assume that it's rpmforge vs. EPEL
problem)
Bad assumption. :) it's entirely a broken dep within rpmforge. Both
rpmforge and epel provide exiv2-0.17

-- Rex

Rex Dieter
2008-10-07 14:09:42 UTC
Post by Gilboa Davara
Post by Gilboa Davara
Post by Rex Dieter
Coming soon to a friendly kde-redhat repo near you... kde-3.5.10 for
EL-4, EL-5. Will be landing in testing to simmer for a bit first. Enjoy.
-- Rex
Thanks!
- Gilboa
Hello Rex,
Missing Dependency: kdenetwork-libs = 7:3.5.10-1.el5 is needed by
package kdenetwork-extras
Missing Dependency: kdebase = 6:3.5.10-2.el5 is needed by package kdebase-extras
Missing Dependency: kdeutils = 6:3.5.10-1.el5 is needed by package
kdeutils-extras
Missing Dependency: kdeutils-extras = 6:3.5.9-1.el5 is needed by
package kdeutils-devel
Other than libexiv2, the others are a mystery to me:
$ repoquery --whatprovides \
kdebase kdenetwork-libs kdeutils kdeutils-extras
kdebase-6:3.5.10-2.el5.x86_64
kdenetwork-7:3.5.10-1.el5.x86_64
kdeutils-6:3.5.10-1.el5.x86_64
kdeutils-extras-6:3.5.10-1.el5.x86_64

Is this possibly a multilib issue? Are there .i386 versions of any of
these currently installed?

-- Rex

Gilboa Davara
2008-10-07 14:25:48 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Gilboa Davara
Post by Gilboa Davara
Post by Rex Dieter
[...]
First thing I checked:

$ rpm -qa kde\* | grep i386 | wc -l
0

- Gilboa

Rex Dieter
2008-10-07 14:49:22 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Gilboa Davara
Post by Gilboa Davara
Post by Rex Dieter
[...]
Bummer, I can't reproduce.

yum install here on my el5/x86_64 for all those pkgs mentioned above
works fine.

-- Rex

Gilboa Davara
2008-10-07 15:56:49 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Gilboa Davara
Post by Gilboa Davara
Post by Rex Dieter
[...]
I'll remove the offending packages (-extras), update the machine and try
and install them again.

Thanks again,
- Gilboa

Rex Dieter
2008-10-23 13:56:26 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Coming soon to a friendly kde-redhat repo near you... kde-3.5.10 for
EL-4, EL-5. Will be landing in testing to simmer for a bit first. Enjoy.
pushed to stable.

-- Rex

Gilboa Davara
2008-10-23 14:01:24 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Rex Dieter
Coming soon to a friendly kde-redhat repo near you... kde-3.5.10 for
EL-4, EL-5. Will be landing in testing to simmer for a bit first. Enjoy.
pushed to stable.
-- Rex
-Testing seems to be working just fine here. (3 CentOS machines; One
RHEL.)
Thanks again!

- Gilboa
P.S. I know it has been asked to death before, but /+1 on a KDE
4.1.x/EL5.

Paul Kennedy
2008-10-23 23:32:04 UTC
2008-10-24 01:41:25 UTC
Coming soon to a friendly kde-redhat repo near you... kde-3.5.10 for
EL-4, EL-5. Will be landing in testing to simmer for a bit first. Enjoy.
pushed to stable.
-- Rex
I pulled this (from not sure which mirror) as an upgrade to my existing 3.5.9 installation on RHEL4. My machine now gets stuck on 'Setting up interprocess communication' during start up.
Arg, anyone else on EL4 seeing this? Anyone on EL4 test these at all? :(

-- Rex

Andreas Petzold
2008-10-24 11:22:45 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
2008-10-24 14:42:12 UTC
Post by Andreas Petzold
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Paul Kennedy
I pulled this (from not sure which mirror) as an upgrade to my
existing 3.5.9 installation on RHEL4. My machine now gets stuck on
'Setting up interprocess communication' during start up.
Arg, anyone else on EL4 seeing this? Anyone on EL4 test these at all? :(
I've installed the rpms from testing on a test machine a couple of
days ago and ran into the same problem on EL4,
OK, thanks for the confirmation... I'll move the el4 builds
stable->testing until this is resolved.

-- Rex

Rex Dieter
2008-11-21 16:47:06 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Andreas Petzold
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Paul Kennedy
I pulled this (from not sure which mirror) as an upgrade to my
existing 3.5.9 installation on RHEL4. My machine now gets stuck on
'Setting up interprocess communication' during start up.
Arg, anyone else on EL4 seeing this? Anyone on EL4 test these at all? :(
I've installed the rpms from testing on a test machine a couple of
days ago and ran into the same problem on EL4,
OK, thanks for the confirmation... I'll move the el4 builds
stable->testing until this is resolved.
OK, grabbed a patch from upstream svn that should help here.

EL-4 folks, please upgrade to kdelibs-3.5.10-2 (in testing), to see if
that resolves the issue.

-- Rex

Andreas Petzold
2008-11-24 11:46:06 UTC
Hi Rex,
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Andreas Petzold
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Paul Kennedy
I pulled this (from not sure which mirror) as an upgrade to my
existing 3.5.9 installation on RHEL4. My machine now gets stuck on
'Setting up interprocess communication' during start up.
Arg, anyone else on EL4 seeing this? Anyone on EL4 test these at all? :(
I've installed the rpms from testing on a test machine a couple of
days ago and ran into the same problem on EL4,
OK, thanks for the confirmation... I'll move the el4 builds
stable->testing until this is resolved.
OK, grabbed a patch from upstream svn that should help here.
EL-4 folks, please upgrade to kdelibs-3.5.10-2 (in testing), to see if
that resolves the issue.
works for me! Great!

Can you give me a reference to the fix, so I can close bug 173693
which I've opened for this issue?

Cheers,

Andreas

Rex Dieter
2008-11-24 13:10:04 UTC
Post by Andreas Petzold
Hi Rex,
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Andreas Petzold
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Paul Kennedy
I pulled this (from not sure which mirror) as an upgrade to my
existing 3.5.9 installation on RHEL4. My machine now gets stuck on
'Setting up interprocess communication' during start up.
Arg, anyone else on EL4 seeing this? Anyone on EL4 test these at all? :(
I've installed the rpms from testing on a test machine a couple of
days ago and ran into the same problem on EL4,
OK, thanks for the confirmation... I'll move the el4 builds
stable->testing until this is resolved.
OK, grabbed a patch from upstream svn that should help here.
EL-4 folks, please upgrade to kdelibs-3.5.10-2 (in testing), to see if
that resolves the issue.
works for me! Great!
Can you give me a reference to the fix, so I can close bug 173693
which I've opened for this issue?
Nicely pointed out to me last week:
http://www.nabble.com/KDE-3.5.10-hangs-on-startup!-td19258284.html

-- Rex

Paul Kennedy
2008-10-24 18:01:14 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Andreas Petzold
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Paul Kennedy
I pulled this (from not sure which mirror) as an upgrade to my
existing 3.5.9 installation on RHEL4. My machine now gets stuck on
'Setting up interprocess communication' during start up.
Arg, anyone else on EL4 seeing this? Anyone on EL4 test these at all? :(
I've installed the rpms from testing on a test machine a couple of
days ago and ran into the same problem on EL4,
OK, thanks for the confirmation... I'll move the el4 builds
stable->testing until this is resolved.
I have wound myself back to 3.5.9 again and all is well.

I guess it's time for me to break free of my employer's RHEL4 standard and move to something newer.

- Paul K

Rex Dieter
2008-10-24 19:30:46 UTC
Post by Paul Kennedy
I have wound myself back to 3.5.9 again and all is well.
I guess it's time for me to break free of my employer's RHEL4 standard and move to something newer.
I'd prefer to find/squash the cause of the problem here. Anyone able to
debug/diagnose this at all?

For better or worse, I don't personally have any el-4 available or handy
anymore.

-- Rex

Andreas Petzold
2008-10-27 16:50:13 UTC
Hi Rex.
Post by Rex Dieter
I'd prefer to find/squash the cause of the problem here. Anyone able to
debug/diagnose this at all?
I now have an strace of the start-up. Can't make much of it though.
I've put it on the web:

http://tinyurl.com/6j7rvj

I _guess_ this is what's happening when the "Starting inter process
communication" icon flashes:

8504 16:19:33.490278 uname({sys="Linux", node="pktw31", ...}) = 0 <0.000011>
8504 16:19:33.490394 open("/root/.DCOPserver_pktw31__0", O_RDONLY) =
-1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) <0.000011>
8504 16:19:33.490464 uname({sys="Linux", node="pktw31", ...}) = 0 <0.000008>
8504 16:19:33.490575 open("/root/.DCOPserver_pktw31__0", O_RDONLY) =
-1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) <0.000010>
8504 16:19:33.490654 ioctl(3, FIONREAD, [0]) = 0 <0.000009>
8504 16:19:33.490709 select(7, [3 4 6], [], [], {0, 99938}) = 0
(Timeout) <0.099499>
8504 16:19:33.590262 ioctl(3, FIONREAD, [0]) = 0 <0.000011>
8504 16:19:33.590319 select(7, [3 4 6], [], [], {0, 327}) = 0
(Timeout) <0.000889>
8504 16:19:33.591278 uname({sys="Linux", node="pktw31", ...}) = 0 <0.000011>
8504 16:19:33.591393 open("/root/.DCOPserver_pktw31__0", O_RDONLY) =
-1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) <0.000011>
8504 16:19:33.591462 uname({sys="Linux", node="pktw31", ...}) = 0 <0.000008>
8504 16:19:33.591572 open("/root/.DCOPserver_pktw31__0", O_RDONLY) =
-1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) <0.000011>
8504 16:19:33.591650 ioctl(3, FIONREAD, [0]) = 0 <0.000009>
8504 16:19:33.591705 select(7, [3 4 6], [], [], {0, 99938}) = 0
(Timeout) <0.099505>
8504 16:19:33.691266 ioctl(3, FIONREAD, [0]) = 0 <0.000011>
8504 16:19:33.691323 select(7, [3 4 6], [], [], {0, 321}) = 0
(Timeout) <0.000885>
8504 16:19:33.692278 uname({sys="Linux", node="pktw31", ...}) = 0 <0.000011>
8504 16:19:33.692461 open("/root/.DCOPserver_pktw31__0", O_RDONLY) =
-1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) <0.000012>
8504 16:19:33.692530 uname({sys="Linux", node="pktw31", ...}) = 0 <0.000008>
8504 16:19:33.692640 open("/root/.DCOPserver_pktw31__0", O_RDONLY) =
-1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) <0.000010>
8504 16:19:33.692718 ioctl(3, FIONREAD, [0]) = 0 <0.000009>
8504 16:19:33.692774 select(7, [3 4 6], [], [], {0, 99938}) = 0
(Timeout) <0.099435>
8504 16:19:33.792264 ioctl(3, FIONREAD, [0]) = 0 <0.000011>
8504 16:19:33.792322 select(7, [3 4 6], [], [], {0, 390}) = 0
(Timeout) <0.000885>
8504 16:19:33.793278 uname({sys="Linux", node="pktw31", ...}) = 0 <0.000011>
8504 16:19:33.793394 open("/root/.DCOPserver_pktw31__0", O_RDONLY) =
-1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) <0.000011>
8504 16:19:33.793463 uname({sys="Linux", node="pktw31", ...}) = 0 <0.000008>
8504 16:19:33.793574 open("/root/.DCOPserver_pktw31__0", O_RDONLY) =
-1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) <0.000011>
8504 16:19:33.793652 ioctl(3, FIONREAD, [0]) = 0 <0.000009>
8504 16:19:33.793707 select(7, [3 4 6], [], [], {0, 58762}) = 0
(Timeout) <0.058500>
8504 16:19:33.852261 ioctl(3, FIONREAD, [0]) = 0 <0.000011>
8504 16:19:33.852317 select(7, [3 4 6], [], [], {0, 152}) = 0
(Timeout) <0.000891>
8504 16:19:33.853269 ioctl(6, FIONREAD, [0]) = 0 <0.000011>
8504 16:19:33.853320 write(7, "\0", 1) = 1 <0.000008>

Please let me know, what else I can do to help here.

Cheers,

Andreas

Rex Dieter
2008-10-27 16:53:45 UTC
[...]