program launcher button disappeared
Claude Jones
2008-06-23 05:23:37 UTC
After working fine all day through numerous reboots, my fresh F8 to F9 distro
upgrade has a problem. On the last reboot, my program launcher button was gone
when I came back up. If I restate it from the add widgets dialog, it appears
on the far right of the panel as opposed to the far left, which I really don't
like. Furthermore, right-clicking on the button doesn't offer any options to
move it, though I seem to remember that this had become possible in more
recent versions of KDE4. I'm running the latest packages from kde-redhat-
unstable. If it means anything, plasma seg-faulted as I logged out the last
time. I was shutting down so I didn't have a chance to see any causes before
the dialog vanished.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

just about anything Open Source.
Marcelo Magno T. Sales
2008-06-23 12:05:29 UTC
Post by Claude Jones
After working fine all day through numerous reboots, my fresh F8 to
F9 distro upgrade has a problem. On the last reboot, my program
launcher button was gone when I came back up. If I restate it from
the add widgets dialog, it appears on the far right of the panel as
opposed to the far left, which I really don't like. Furthermore,
right-clicking on the button doesn't offer any options to move it,
though I seem to remember that this had become possible in more
recent versions of KDE4. I'm running the latest packages from
kde-redhat- unstable. If it means anything, plasma seg-faulted as I
logged out the last time. I was shutting down so I didn't have a
chance to see any causes before the dialog vanished.
If you drag the button from the add widgets dialog to the panel, you
will be able to drop it at the position you want. About the option to
move it on the panel, I've been told this was a patch that didn't make
its way in upstream, but it's likely it will be back soon, maybe in time
for 4.1 final.

[]'s
Marcelo

just about anything Open Source.
Claude Jones
2008-06-23 16:20:01 UTC
Post by Marcelo Magno T. Sales
If you drag the button from the add widgets dialog to the
panel, you will be able to drop it at the position you want.
About the option to move it on the panel, I've been told this
was a patch that didn't make its way in upstream, but it's
likely it will be back soon, maybe in time for 4.1 final.
Thanks! I'll try this when I get back to the machine
--
Claude Jones
Levit & James, Inc.

just about anything Open Source.
Claude Jones
2008-06-24 02:59:44 UTC
Post by Marcelo Magno T. Sales
If you drag the button from the add widgets dialog to the panel, you
will be able to drop it at the position you want. About the option to
move it on the panel, I've been told this was a patch that didn't make
its way in upstream, but it's likely it will be back soon, maybe in time
for 4.1 final.
Just got home and tried this and it worked. One funny thing, the first
'Kickoff' widget wouldn't drag to the panel. There was no indication why - I
kept dragging it down to various places and as soon as I released the mouse,
it would disappear. So, I tried the second 'Traditional launcher' button, and
it dropped right in on the far left hand side where I wanted it. Then, a
simple right click on it and I was able to switch to Kickoff style - I'm not
sure I like Kickoff very much, but, I'm giving it a go.

kwhiskerz
2008-06-23 16:15:15 UTC
Post by Claude Jones
On the last reboot, my program launcher
button was gone when I came back up. If I restate it from the add widgets
dialog, it appears on the far right of the panel as opposed to the far
left, which I really don't like. Furthermore, right-clicking on the button
doesn't offer any options to move it, though I seem to remember that this
had become possible in more recent versions of KDE4. I'm running the latest
packages from kde-redhat- unstable.
Before I found out that kde-redhat was offerring these beta releases, I used
the kvm virtual appliance kde4daily in order to get my does of kde4. There, I
had this very problem. I have read about the elusive ability to move buttons,
but have never found it anywhere. What I had to do to remedy the problem was
to remove all of the task bar plasmoids and reinstate them in the order I
wanted. I didn't get it perfect, but it was acceptable. The strange thing was
that when the launcher plasmoid was on the right, all of the tabs were in
reverse order, with leave at the left and favourites being the rightmost!