Upgrade to kdegraphics-3.5.9-2.fc8 Breaks Things
Richard Heck
2008-06-17 17:31:02 UTC
In particular, neither kdvi nor kpdf will work now. The former gives me
"No viewing component found", and the latter gives me "Unable to find
kpdf part".

Richard

just about anything Open Source.
Rex Dieter
2008-06-17 17:37:01 UTC
Post by Richard Heck
In particular, neither kdvi nor kpdf will work now. The former gives me
"No viewing component found", and the latter gives me "Unable to find
kpdf part".
worksforme.

Installing AdobeReader has been known to break kdegraphics in the past,
you didn't happen to have installed it too recently? :)

-- Rex

just about anything Open Source.
Richard Heck
2008-06-17 17:47:20 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Richard Heck
In particular, neither kdvi nor kpdf will work now. The former gives me
"No viewing component found", and the latter gives me "Unable to find
kpdf part".
worksforme.
Installing AdobeReader has been known to break kdegraphics in the past,
you didn't happen to have installed it too recently? :)
Not sure when that was installed. A while ago, but I haven't used this
machine for a while, and I did the upgrade since then. Should I try
uninstalling AdobeReader?

rh

just about anything Open Source.
Richard Heck
2008-06-17 17:40:47 UTC
Post by Richard Heck
In particular, neither kdvi nor kpdf will work now. The former gives me
"No viewing component found", and the latter gives me "Unable to find
kpdf part".
And moreover, kghostview is crashing on startup; and kview reports:
kview: error while loading shared libraries: libkdeinit_kview.so: cannot
It seems that /usr/lib64/libkdeinit_kview.so no longer exists---though
locate reports it as being there, since it was before:
[***@bootp-27 arche]$ ls `locate libkdeinit_kview`
ls: cannot access /usr/lib64/libkdeinit_kview.so: No such file or directory
/usr/lib64/libkdeinit_kview.la /usr/lib/libkdeinit_kview.la

rh

just about anything Open Source.
Rex Dieter
2008-06-17 17:47:27 UTC
Post by Richard Heck
Post by Richard Heck
In particular, neither kdvi nor kpdf will work now. The former gives me
"No viewing component found", and the latter gives me "Unable to find
kpdf part".
kview: error while loading shared libraries: libkdeinit_kview.so: cannot
It seems that /usr/lib64/libkdeinit_kview.so no longer exists---though
ls: cannot access /usr/lib64/libkdeinit_kview.so: No such file or
directory /usr/lib64/libkdeinit_kview.la /usr/lib/libkdeinit_kview.la
rpm -V kdegraphics kdegraphics-libs

sounds like something got borked.

-- Rex

just about anything Open Source.
Richard Heck
2008-06-17 17:47:16 UTC
Post by Richard Heck
Post by Richard Heck
In particular, neither kdvi nor kpdf will work now. The former gives me
"No viewing component found", and the latter gives me "Unable to find
kpdf part".
kview: error while loading shared libraries: libkdeinit_kview.so: cannot
It seems that /usr/lib64/libkdeinit_kview.so no longer exists---though
ls: cannot access /usr/lib64/libkdeinit_kview.so: No such file or directory
/usr/lib64/libkdeinit_kview.la /usr/lib/libkdeinit_kview.la
I seem to have this now in /usr/lib/ rather than in /usr/lib64/. ??

rh

just about anything Open Source.
Rex Dieter
2008-06-17 17:51:39 UTC
Post by Richard Heck
Post by Richard Heck
Post by Richard Heck
In particular, neither kdvi nor kpdf will work now. The former gives me
"No viewing component found", and the latter gives me "Unable to find
kpdf part".
kview: error while loading shared libraries: libkdeinit_kview.so: cannot
It seems that /usr/lib64/libkdeinit_kview.so no longer exists---though
ls: cannot access /usr/lib64/libkdeinit_kview.so: No such file or directory
/usr/lib64/libkdeinit_kview.la /usr/lib/libkdeinit_kview.la
I seem to have this now in /usr/lib/ rather than in /usr/lib64/. ??
You're multilib, it's ok to have both
kdegraphics-libs.i386
and
kdegraphics-libs.x86_64

though you probably don't really need/want kdegraphics-libs.i386

-- Rex

just about anything Open Source.
Richard Heck
2008-06-17 17:58:21 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Richard Heck
Post by Richard Heck
Post by Richard Heck
In particular, neither kdvi nor kpdf will work now. The former gives me
"No viewing component found", and the latter gives me "Unable to find
kpdf part".
kview: error while loading shared libraries: libkdeinit_kview.so: cannot
It seems that /usr/lib64/libkdeinit_kview.so no longer exists---though
ls: cannot access /usr/lib64/libkdeinit_kview.so: No such file or directory
/usr/lib64/libkdeinit_kview.la /usr/lib/libkdeinit_kview.la
I seem to have this now in /usr/lib/ rather than in /usr/lib64/. ??
You're multilib, it's ok to have both
kdegraphics-libs.i386
and
kdegraphics-libs.x86_64
The .so files seem to be in kdegraphics, whereas the .la files are in
kdegraphics-libs. I had both the .la files, but only the i386 .so file.
Post by Rex Dieter
though you probably don't really need/want kdegraphics-libs.i386
Here's the problem:
[***@bootp-27 log]# grep kde messages
Jun 17 12:24:01 bootp-27 yum: Installed: kdegraphics - 7:3.5.9-2.fc8.i386
I ended up with the wrong one of those, for some reason. Uninstalling
and then installing the x86_64 manually fixed the problem. I take it I
do NOT want both versions of kdegraphics, right?

Any idea why that might have happened? This was a normal "yum update". A
yum issue?

rh

just about anything Open Source.
Rex Dieter
2008-06-17 18:18:02 UTC
Post by Richard Heck
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Richard Heck
Post by Rex Dieter
though you probably don't really need/want kdegraphics-libs.i386
Jun 17 12:24:01 bootp-27 yum: Installed: kdegraphics - 7:3.5.9-2.fc8.i386
I ended up with the wrong one of those, for some reason. Uninstalling
and then installing the x86_64 manually fixed the problem. I take it I
do NOT want both versions of kdegraphics, right?
WTF is kdegraphics.i386 doing in x86_64 updates?

Hint: it shouldn't be there.

-- Rex

just about anything Open Source.