Setting system font defaults
Anne Wilson
2008-11-12 16:21:02 UTC
Is there somewhere that I can set system font defaults? On small screens it
would help if the fonts could be a bit smaller.

Anne
Colin J Thomson
2008-11-12 17:03:20 UTC
Hi Anne,
Post by Anne Wilson
Is there somewhere that I can set system font defaults? On small screens
it would help if the fonts could be a bit smaller.
System Settings > Appearance > Fonts

I think this is what your after..

Colin
--
Fedora 9 (Sulphur)
Registered Linux user number #342953

Rex Dieter
2008-11-12 17:19:23 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Is there somewhere that I can set system font defaults? On small screens it
would help if the fonts could be a bit smaller.
If your X setup is correct (screen dimentions, resolution, and in effect
dpi), then font size should "just work".

What does xdpyinfo report wrt to "dots per inch"?

-- Rex

Anne Wilson
2008-11-12 17:58:55 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Anne Wilson
Is there somewhere that I can set system font defaults? On small screens
it would help if the fonts could be a bit smaller.
If your X setup is correct (screen dimentions, resolution, and in effect
dpi), then font size should "just work".
What does xdpyinfo report wrt to "dots per inch"?
Hi, Rex. This is an Acer Aspire One (9" screen) running Fedora 9.98.

xdpyinfo says
resolution: 133x135 dots per inch

Anne
Rex Dieter
2008-11-12 18:03:28 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Anne Wilson
Is there somewhere that I can set system font defaults? On small screens
it would help if the fonts could be a bit smaller.
If your X setup is correct (screen dimentions, resolution, and in effect
dpi), then font size should "just work".
What does xdpyinfo report wrt to "dots per inch"?
Hi, Rex. This is an Acer Aspire One (9" screen) running Fedora 9.98.
xdpyinfo says
resolution: 133x135 dots per inch
OK, now measure the physical size of the screen, and report the
resolution, and we can calculate if that dpi is correct.

-- Rex

Anne Wilson
2008-11-12 18:40:12 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Anne Wilson
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Anne Wilson
Is there somewhere that I can set system font defaults? On small
screens it would help if the fonts could be a bit smaller.
If your X setup is correct (screen dimentions, resolution, and in effect
dpi), then font size should "just work".
What does xdpyinfo report wrt to "dots per inch"?
Hi, Rex. This is an Acer Aspire One (9" screen) running Fedora 9.98.
xdpyinfo says
resolution: 133x135 dots per inch
OK, now measure the physical size of the screen, and report the
resolution, and we can calculate if that dpi is correct.
7 5/8" x 4 3/8"
1024 x 600

By my reckoning that comes out at 1014 x 590, so allowing for my inaccurate
measuring, that should be right.

I've set kmail/kontact to use 8 point, and that looks fine. Konsole looks a
bit big type, but not really a problem. It's things like the menu toolbars,
tab labels and so on that seem uncomfortably big.

Anne
Claude Jones
2008-11-12 16:44:24 UTC
Post by Anne Wilson
Is there somewhere that I can set system font defaults? On
small screens it would help if the fonts could be a bit
smaller.
Anne
Doesn't 'System Settings/Appearance/Fonts' do that? Haven't
played with it much, but, it appears to be the case
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

Anne Wilson
2008-11-19 19:05:35 UTC
Post by Claude Jones
Post by Anne Wilson
Is there somewhere that I can set system font defaults? On
small screens it would help if the fonts could be a bit
smaller.
Anne
Doesn't 'System Settings/Appearance/Fonts' do that? Haven't
played with it much, but, it appears to be the case
Hi, Claude. I'd used that to change most of the fonts, but was having
problems with things like fonts on the toolbars. I simply hadn't expected the
setting to be there - to me the logical place was somewhere like Configure
Toolbars. Ah well - the cost of aging memory and brain power :-)

Anne