kde 4.1 - A Question - First Impression
Eli Wapniarski
2008-07-19 05:34:06 UTC
Hi Rex

First a question... What about all the kde extragear stuff. Will that get
incorporated?

I finally got my main Desktop rolled up to Fedora 9. And I have installed 4.1.
The jury is still out over all the changes. Some are very nice. Others..
well... Maybe I just need to get used to it.

I like the style very much. However, the substance... Well kde 4.1 is deemed
to be very new. However, I don't see it. I could best describe Plasma as Super
Karamba on steriods (Super Duper Karamba :) ). Which reminds me of Windows
Active Desktop introduced in Windows 98 with IE 4. Nice ideas, but.... Like I
said, maybe it will just take some getting used to.
believed to be clean.
Rex Dieter
2008-07-19 13:12:26 UTC
Post by Eli Wapniarski
Hi Rex
First a question... What about all the kde extragear stuff. Will that
get incorporated?
First you'll have to define exactly what you mean by "all the kde
extragear stuff". ?

-- Rex

Eli Wapniarski
2008-07-19 15:44:33 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Eli Wapniarski
Hi Rex
First a question... What about all the kde extragear stuff. Will that
get incorporated?
First you'll have to define exactly what you mean by "all the kde
extragear stuff". ?
The main webisght is at

http://extragear.kde.org/

Daily tarballs are at (using firefox!!!).

ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/snapshots/

There are a whole lot of extragear tarballs here. I've compiled and installed
kdeextragear-network-831739.tar.bz2 and voila. kmldonkey V2 for kde 4.x
appears.

The kdemultimedia extragear tarball has kmplayer and I'm about to compile it.

Eli
believed to be clean.
Rex Dieter
2008-07-20 14:32:05 UTC
Post by Eli Wapniarski
Post by Rex Dieter
Post by Eli Wapniarski
Hi Rex
First a question... What about all the kde extragear stuff. Will that
get incorporated?
First you'll have to define exactly what you mean by "all the kde
extragear stuff". ?
The main webisght is at
http://extragear.kde.org/
Daily tarballs are at (using firefox!!!).
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/snapshots/
There are a whole lot of extragear tarballs here. I've compiled and
installed kdeextragear-network-831739.tar.bz2 and voila. kmldonkey V2
for kde 4.x appears.
The kdemultimedia extragear tarball has kmplayer and I'm about to compile it.
OK, that's what I thought.

(extragear) snapshots are just experimental prereleases. We usually
only package "released" software, where the developers are confident
that it's ready for consumption.

-- Rex

Eli Wapniarski
2008-07-20 19:16:28 UTC
Post by Rex Dieter
(extragear) snapshots are just experimental prereleases. We usually
only package "released" software, where the developers are confident
that it's ready for consumption.
-- Rex
OK...
believed to be clean.