which file has the addresses in it for address book?
Claude Jones
2008-07-01 02:04:39 UTC
I looked and looked at all the *rc files that seemed possible today, but I
couldn't find one that had my old address book entries (for those who weren't
following a previous thread of mine, I had to resort to renaming the .kde
folder in order to solve a problem with plasma failing to start because I
couldn't pinpoint the problem - this was fine with me, because the only thing
I really cared about retaining from my old configuration was my email and
other kdepim data; I managed to get everything except a long list of
addresses that will be very hard to reconstruct)

So, does anyone know where that data is stored? I have tried to google it but
so far to no avail.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

just about anything Open Source.
Andreas Petzold
2008-07-01 09:12:09 UTC
Post by Claude Jones
I looked and looked at all the *rc files that seemed possible today,
the *rc files in ~/.kde/share/config/ contain the the configurations
of the apps. The app data are stored in .kde/share/apps/XXX
Post by Claude Jones
but I
couldn't find one that had my old address book entries
So, does anyone know where that data is stored? I have tried to google it but
so far to no avail.
If you've previously used a single addressbook file (file resource)
you'll find it in .kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf along with a number of
backup copies std.vcf_XX. If you have been using a directory
addressbook, then you'll have to copy the .kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf
directory. If you customized the addressbook name the files/dirs will
not be called std.vcf/stdvcf.

Cheers,

Andreas

just about anything Open Source.
Marcelo Magno T. Sales
2008-07-01 02:27:19 UTC
Post by Claude Jones
I looked and looked at all the *rc files that seemed possible today,
but I couldn't find one that had my old address book entries (for
those who weren't following a previous thread of mine, I had to
resort to renaming the .kde folder in order to solve a problem with
plasma failing to start because I couldn't pinpoint the problem -
this was fine with me, because the only thing I really cared about
retaining from my old configuration was my email and other kdepim
data; I managed to get everything except a long list of addresses
that will be very hard to reconstruct)
So, does anyone know where that data is stored? I have tried to
google it but so far to no avail.
Probably the file you look for is ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf.
However, to be sure, you must look at the properties of the data source
that was configured to your address book before. You may create a new
user account and copy your old .kde folder to the new user's home
directory, login as this user and open the address book to verify what
is the correct file.

[]'s
Marcelo

just about anything Open Source.
Claude Jones
2008-07-01 19:41:05 UTC
Post by Marcelo Magno T. Sales
Probably the file you look for is
~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf. However, to be sure, you must
look at the properties of the data source that was configured
to your address book before. You may create a new user account
and copy your old .kde folder to the new user's home
directory, login as this user and open the address book to
verify what is the correct file.
Thank you, and to Andreas, as well. This was the solution.
--
Claude Jones
Levit & James, Inc.