Default KDE to PulseAudio
Mark Bidewell
2008-09-17 13:46:40 UTC
When I use KDE, the actual HW is the default sound device which causes
immediate failure messages. Shouldn't KDE default to PulseAudio for its
sound device?

Mark Bidewell
Rex Dieter
2008-09-17 14:35:25 UTC
Post by Mark Bidewell
When I use KDE, the actual HW is the default sound device which causes
immediate failure messages. Shouldn't KDE default to PulseAudio for its
sound device?
Yes.

We've found the gstreamer phonon backend to be problematic for that.
Which one are you using and/or have installed?

rpm -q phonon-backend-xine phonon-backend-gstreamer

-- Rex

Mark Bidewell

Rex Dieter
2008-09-17 15:07:07 UTC
Post by Mark Bidewell
The config dialog shows only gstreamer. Moving PulseAudio to the top of
the HW list seems to work great. Is Xine the recommended backend?
They both work, but yeah, xine is the recommended one (still) for precisely
the reasons outlined in this thread.

-- Rex
Neal Becker
2008-09-17 14:42:56 UTC
Post by Mark Bidewell
When I use KDE, the actual HW is the default sound device which causes
immediate failure messages. Shouldn't KDE default to PulseAudio for its
sound device?
Mark Bidewell
I find this whole setup bewildering. But don't mind me, I'm just a EE with 30
years experience.

Rex Dieter
2008-09-18 13:47:40 UTC
Post by Neal Becker
Post by Mark Bidewell
When I use KDE, the actual HW is the default sound device which causes
immediate failure messages. Shouldn't KDE default to PulseAudio for its
sound device?
Mark Bidewell
I find this whole setup bewildering. But don't mind me, I'm just a EE with 30
years experience.
It turns out that while we tested/configured phonon-xine-backend to
"just work", phonon-gstreamer-backend still has issues (and requires
manual tweaking). Problem being that the upgrade process from kde-4.0
to kde-4.1 ends up making the latter (-gstreamer) the default backend,
which is causing some head-aches.

We've issued a fast-track update to address this:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/phonon-4.2.0-5.fc9

-- Rex

p.s. nitty-gritty details involve yum (recently?) changing its
depsolving/preferred updates method/algorithm to no longer prefer the
matching package with the shortest name, ie -xine should beat -gstreamer.

kwhiskerz
2008-09-17 17:13:23 UTC
The config dialog shows only gstreamer. Moving PulseAudio to the top of
the HW list seems to work great. Is Xine the recommended backend?
No matter what position, the result is always a little rectangle with the
message that phonon doesn't work and it defaults back to SoundBlaster. Then
the application must be restarted.
I am using phonon-xine.
I find this whole setup bewildering.
Pulseaudio is a mess. It just doesn't work and has only complicated things
that worked excellently up until now. Hopefully it will work, finally, in F10.
Neal Becker
2008-09-17 19:18:18 UTC
Post by kwhiskerz
The config dialog shows only gstreamer. Moving PulseAudio to the top of
the HW list seems to work great. Is Xine the recommended backend?
No matter what position, the result is always a little rectangle with the
message that phonon doesn't work and it defaults back to SoundBlaster. Then
the application must be restarted.
I am using phonon-xine.
I find this whole setup bewildering.
Pulseaudio is a mess. It just doesn't work and has only complicated things
that worked excellently up until now. Hopefully it will work, finally, in F10.
How about this? Talk about embarrassment of riches. I am the proud owner of
_3_ volume controls - and they are all effectively connected in series. Each
app has it's control, then Pulse has it's volume control, and kmix has it's
volume control. Turn any one down (or mute it) and no sound.